CHRISTMAS - THE NIGHT OFFICE VIGILS
by The Monastic Choir of St. Peter's Abby,
Responsory. Hodie Nobis de Caelo
It's not often you get to visit a Benedictine monastery founded in 1010 in western France, let alone experience night prayer there, on Christmas Eve, chanted in its entirety by the monastic choir in the rich acoustics of their ancient church. Yet that's the rare and unforgettable opportunity afforded by this unique recording.
Opening with an organ prelude, Christmas: The Night Office contains every part of this traditional liturgical prayer, including the inventory, hymns, antiphons and psalms, readings, and responsory, all beautifully chanted in clear Latin. The Old Testament reading is from Isaiah, while the Gospel reading is the genealogy of Christ from the beginning of Matthew.
Join the monks of Solesmes-world-renowned for their many chant recordings-as they celebrate the birth of Jesus at the same time of night he was born in Bethlehem!
1. Laissez paistre vos bestes - 2:14
2. Versicle. Domine, Labia Mea/Invitatory. C - 0:14
3. Invitatory Christus and Psalm 94 - 8:25
4. Hymn. Candor Aeternae (Mode 1) - 3:06
5. Antiphon. Dominus Dixit/Psalm 2 (Mode 8) - 3:37
6. Antiphon. Tamquam Sponsus/Psalm 18a (Mode - 1:59
7. Antiphon. Diffusa Est/Psalm 44 ( [KJV 45] - 4:44
8. Versicle Verbum Caro Factum Est - 0:22
9. Reading from Isaiah 11:1-10 - 3:55
10. Responsory. Hodie Nobis Caelorum Rex - 3:06
11. Reading from St. Leo the Great - 5:06
12. Responsory. Hodie Nobis de Caelo (Mode 8) - 2:18
13. Gospel of the Genealogy. Matthew 1:1-16 - 6:10
14. Hymn. Te Deum - 5:20
15. Collect/Benedicamus Domino (Mode 2) - 1:20
16. Nunn Komm, Der Heiden Heiland, BWV 599 - 4:40